- Ferguson reports replacement for the bath 2 shower pan will be 20 August.
- Without the shower pan, Ron Dahlke and the City of Austin inspector opted to delay the framing inspection — because the plumbers are still punching holes in lumber.
- Custom Plumbing began today to test drain lines — pulling a hose through the house to fill drains with water in the master, laundry/utility, bath 3, mudroom. The master shower leaked and was quickly fixed. It’s better to test now, before the insulation goes in and the drywall goes up …
- The painters caulked the bottom plates where the lumber met the slab, sealing against air, water and insects. If you build new today, the framers unroll a thin layer of foam that adheres to the bottom of the bottom plate — the foam was not invented in 1968 when Emerald Hill was built. Silicon caulk is the alternate to ripping down the house and starting over with new lumber and foam.
- The painters caulked today because Ranserve will spray borate on the exposed framing of the first floor. Termites don’t like borate. Steven and Jacquela and Ron don’t like termites. We’ve seen the damage termites do. The framers were forced to replace a lot of lumber that the bugs chewed through. The borate is a line of defense — and it is also required by the Austin Energy Green Build program.
- Ron now plans to re-attempt the framing inspection for Friday this week, or early next.
- Ron put the insulation team on alert to start next week as soon as Emerald Hill passes the framing inspection — with drywall anticipated for the first week of September.
- Steven received and is reviewing updated quotes for door handles and hardware, and for tile — and the potential third garage bay.
Category Archives: termites
Getting rid of termite damage
Mud tubes and termite-chewed lumber, where it belongs, in the trash pile.
It’s Saturday. The demo crew has the day off. Time to go hunting for more sign of termite damage in a quiet house.
Termites have taken out structure at the back door and windows. Just in case, Ron and the demo crew braced the second floor.