We built a third garage bay with a storage loft above and enough space at the back for a workshop.
But the floor of the original garage was covered with what we suspect was cheap, 50-year-old, red linoleum tile that was glued down. Someone apparently used the garage as a rec room during the history of the house.
Ranserve hacked away at the tile and glue for days. The glue just would not come up.
We opted to cover it with roll-out floor mats that we used at Sea Eagle, and we used heavy cardboard Ramboard to extend a walking path to the cars from the mudroom door into the garage — because if you walk on the glue, you will stick to the glue and drag it all over the house and into the cars.
With a recommendation from Ranserve, Steven hired Monty Patton and Krystal Flooring to grind clean the glue and top layer of concrete.
Monty, Jose and Roberto arrived about 930 am and finished about 4 pm.
Here’s a photo essay.
A “before” shot. The yellow and brown crud is the glue. Heavy cardboard still laid on the floor as a walkway.
And then we let it dry overnight.
This is the prize-winning after shot of a floor that has not been this clean since the house was first built.
When the drain line under the slab, under the mudroom bathroom backs up, water and crap comes up from the toilet and shower drains. It’s a flood. Second time this has happened since we moved into the house. The immediate crisis is to mop up the crap and get a plumber to the house in the middle of the night to snake the line clean.
After that, we let the room and walls dry out. Then Ranserve comes back to peel off the ruined baseboard trim. And we discover that mold has begun to grow on the drywall paper. We caught it in time. Small spores. Odell from Ranserve sprayed a mold killer. 24 hours later Steven applied a second spray, waited 24 hours, applied a third spray, waited 24 hours, scrubbed the drywall as clean as possible with an abrasive sponge, then a fourth spray of mold killer.
Now Odell gets to come back to install replacement trim — and Steven is scheduling a plumber to inspect the main lines under the house with a camera, in hopes of determining why this has happened twice, whether it is systemic, and what the options might be to keep the lines clean.
On 2 November, M&R Seamless Raingutters returned to Emerald Hill to cut a section of roof gutter away opposite the window. They installed a splash guard above the window, at the roof, to push water to the left and right, capped the gutter at each end, and installed a new downspout to the side of Jadin’s window.
One less problem to solve.
To finish, the painters will have to come back to caulk all the joints and paint it all up.
One shortcoming is … there is no utility sink in the garage. Jacquela does NOT want Steven washing out paint brushes in the kitchen.
Steven proposed a utility sink during the design and build process, but it would have required a ridiculously expensive change order — and busting up more concrete.
Fortunately, when we shifted the sink in the mudroom bathroom, it wound up on the wall that is shared with the garage. This puts the water supply and drain lines into that shared wall. Which means we can open up the wall from the garage to tie in hot and cold water supplies, and connect the drain line from the utility sink to the drain line inside the wall that connects to the mudroom sink.
It just requires imagination, a budget, and a plumber.
Mike Rodriguez and his team from Elite Plumbing arrived 21 October to cut open the wall — photo above — and connect the pex lines — photo below.
Steven’s job is to install a backer board to attach the sink to, re-insulate the wall with foam, replace the drywall, patch the drywall, then glue a plastic sheet against the drywall to serve as backsplash. Here’s what that looks like when Steven is done:
Now Mike can return to the scene of the crime to hook up the sink and water lines.